Pages

1.6.17

NAKED APES - one hundred words for Friday Fictioneers

NAKED  APES

Clinging to Pedro’s waist, Tom lifted his legs out of the water to reduce drag. As they raced downstream the banks became a blur, only the occasional streak of colour when a bird took flight breaking the monotony. Tom yelled with the sheer thrill of speed, his voice bouncing from the green walls.
As they rounded one of the many bends, he caught a glimpse of movement. Two creatures scrambled up the bank and vanished in an instant, but the sight burned into Tom’s brain – their mud-streaked bodies were naked, and they walked upright – just like the Humans in Grandfather’s bedtime story.
...................................................

When I saw this week's photo for Friday Fictioneers I couldn't think of a short story - until I thought of the book I am revising at the moment, and which needs an insert for the sake of continuity. So this is it - one day soon I hope to publish the entire book - A Volcanic Race.
Thanks to Rochelle at  https://rochellewisoff.com/ for organising rhe group, and to Karuna for the photo which reminded me of something I needed to write!

27 comments:

  1. Mysterious and beautifully rendered Lizy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. This is the first time I've used an extract from a novel - I think it works as a stand-alone.

      Delete
  3. A curious sighting, bodes well for the novel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain - I hope the novel lives up to my original idea!

      Delete
  4. Dear Liz,

    That was quite a twist. Well done.

    Shalom,

    Rochelle

    ReplyDelete
  5. So people turn out to be the "Bigfoot" of the future. Cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's one way to look at it, James! Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  6. Ooh, very Planet of the Apes :-( Nice one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose this extract is reminiscent of that, though when you read the whole book you won't think so!

      Delete
  7. You know it's a really good story when you have to read it again :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda - what a lovely thing to say x

      Delete
  8. i wonder who got scared, them or the creatures. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Tom and Pedro shot past too quickly to be scared!

      Delete
  9. I was running with them! Do keep us posted when your book is published!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Replies
    1. It's odd, isn't it, writing a book? As its author you know the back story, so to me this made perfect sense!

      Delete
  11. Very enjoyable reading -- a unique twist to the photo. I like it !!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very intriguing. I sensed the thrill of speed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad my description worked, thanks Clare.

      Delete

Do leave a message before you go!